The Faculty Club at UBC began life in 1947 in a refurbished army hut at the north end of Main Mall. Thanks to the generosity of Leon and Thea Koerner, the hut was replaced by a new building designed by Frederic Lasserre and opened in 1959. UBC Archives has created a virtual display about the Faculty Club at http://www.library.ubc.ca/archives/facclub/welcome.html. The Club thrived in the ’60s and ’70’s, but rising costs and falling membership forced it to close in 1994. The building reopened in 1999; the Sage Bistro took the main floor, while the upper floor, formerly the “Social Suite,” was occupied by the Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies.
The following pictures were taken after a renovation in the 1980s.